Back to top

Admission for Prospective Freshmen and Transfer Students

If you want to major in Biological Sciences at Cornell, apply to either the College of Arts and Sciences or the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Since courses, concentrations, research opportunities, major advising services, and requirements for the biological sciences major are the same in both colleges, we advise you to make your college choice according to your secondary interests. It’s the non-biology course options and requirements that vary from college to college.  So spend some time visiting both college web sites to learn more about their respective academic offerings beyond Biology.

Admission to the major after matriculation generally requires:

  • being in good standing in your college;
  • passing two or more required biology courses with C or better;
  • and presenting a reasonable plan to satisfactorily complete the major by your expected graduation date.

***Students who externally transfer to Cornell into a major other than biological science (or as undecided) and seek change their major to biological sciences, may apply if they were admissible to the major at the time of their matriculation to Cornell as per the  CALS transfer admissions criteria for biological sciences.  This criteria applies to all external transfer students (CALS and non-CALS) who were not admitted directly to the biological sciences major prior to matriculation.