Back to top

Research for Credit (BIOG 2990/4990)

Independent Research for Credit during the Academic Year

Over 500 students each semester earn academic credit for undergraduate research by enrolling in independent research courses. Most students enroll in 2-4 credits of research (3-5 hours per credit). A student’s research mentor can be in any department as long as the research is biological in nature. A faculty member or research associate must supervise the research. Students often work directly with a graduate student, technician, or postdoctoral scientist in the lab.

BIOG 2990, Introduction to Research:  Intended for students new to undergraduate research. Students enrolled in BIOG 2990 may be reading the scientific literature, learning research techniques and assisting with ongoing research. Credit hours are variable (maximum of 3 credits) and grading is S/U only. This course is a prerequisite for BIOG 4990.

BIOG 4990, Independent Research in Biology:  Students work more independently on a research project. You do not have to generate your own research topic. More typically, students get involved in the ongoing research of the lab. The prerequisite for BIOG 4990 is the completion of one semester of BIOG 2990 or previous research experience. You will need to prepare a brief research description as part of the BIOG 4990 application.  We encourage you to work with your research mentor to draft this in advance of applying.

We do not pre-enroll for BioG 2990 or BioG 4990.  You must complete the online enrollment form at the start of the semester.